APOSTLES, EPISTLES & SUPERNATURAL MISSILES
2 Corinthians 3:18 "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord."
God wants to bring a transformation. That transformation is to restore the apostolic
Ephesians 2:20 tells us the church is to be build upon 3 things. Jesus Christ, Apostles and Prophets.
Peter and John, and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas the son of James. - Acts 1:13
Judas Iscariot - Luke 6:16
Matthias - Acts 1:26
“And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb” (Revelation 21:14).
James - Galatians 1:19
Barnabas -Acts 14:14
Paul - Acts 14:14
Apollos - Corinthians 4:6-9
Timothy and Silvanus– I Thessalonians 1:1 and 2:6
Epaphroditus - Philippians 2:25. While the King James Version translates the word as “messenger”, the Greek word (apostolon) is actually “apostle”.
Two unnamed apostles– 2 Corinthians 8:23. A brother of fame among the churches, and a brother tested–“As for our brethren, they are messengers of the churches, a glory to Christ.” Again, the Greek word is “apostolos” but is translated here as “messengers”.
Andronicus and Junia–Romans 16:7
CHRIST IS AN APOSTLE
Christ is an Apostle. John 4:34 (Jesus tells us he was sent more then 20 times in John’s gospel.)
Apostle means to be sent: To be a delegate, an envoy. Delegated authority representing the sender.
We are to be Ambassadors for Christ 2 Corinthians 5:20
THE OFFICE OF AN APOSTLE
Markers of the office
- Signs, wonders & miracles (follows the preaching)
- Independent revelation of apostleship calling
- God gives apostles other ministers
- They have fully functioning churches (repeated success in planting thereof)
- Lots of opposition.
Duties of the office
- To gather - he who does not gather, scatters Matthew 12:30
- To impart - Romans 1:11
- To mobilize - 2 Corinthians 9:5-7
- To order (governing anointing) - Titus 1:5
- To ordain - Titus 1:5, John 15,16
- To judge - 1 Corinthians 5:3
- To reform - Hebrews 9:10
- To build - “master builder ”1 Corinthians 3:10”
- To bring revelation - Ephesians 3
- To father - 1 Corinthians 4:15
- To lay a foundation - Ephesians 2:20
- To initiate - acts 2:46
- To bridge (transition from old to new) - Romans 8:1-39, Isaiah 42:10
- To pioneer - John 2:1-11
- To establish - 1 Thessalonians 3:2
- To legislate in the church - acts 15
- to execute the plans and purposes of God - James 1:22-25
- To defend - Ephesians 6
- To confront - Galatians 2:11
- To oversee - acts 1:20
- To invade - acts 19
- To war - territorial warriors - 2 Corinthians 10:4
- To enforce - compel obedience - Titus 1:13
- To convert - acts 3:19, 26:18
- To train - Hebrews 5:11-14
- To finish - (win!) John 4:34
GATHERING & OUTREACH
The Great commission is an apostolic commission.
Matthew 28:18-20 "18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Gathering & Outreach.
Hebrews 10:25 - Gathering
not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Mark 16:15 - Outreach
And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.
NOTE: God can move in the mundane - Paul just chilling by the fire. BAM. A snake bites him but no harm.
OUR FAITH NEEDS TO BE APOSTOLIC
God’s desire is for us all to have apostolic faith.
Obey God. Delegated authority. Giving someone a cup of cold water, done in obedience to christ, is apostolic.